The first party, with our MOMS club friends, I planned and hosted. Lucien was a fantastic helper! We arrived at the park early and Lucien set me up our ‘feed the ghost’ game (We tossed balls into the ghost’s open mouth.) and also snitched some string cheese and raisins from our treat bowl!
We trick-or-treated around the park – Lucien was most excited about his new play doh and Hot Wheels car – did a handprint ghost craft, decorated a pumpkin, chased bubbles, munched on fruit, ran around, and had lots of fun with friends.
We attended our usual library story time on Thursday. In addition hearing Halloween-themed books, Lucien decorate a trick-or-treat bag and then got to go trick-or-treating around the library. The kind ladies at the circulation and reference desks prepared some lovely goodie bags! It was a wonderful, unexpected surprise for us.
The most exciting part of our week, though, was the Halloween party at My Gym.
We arrived in the lobby a few minutes early and Lucien was beyond thrilled to see a pupu spread in the lobby that included cheese! And the cheese came on cute toothpicks with Halloween flags! It is the little things!
In addition to the usual attractions – trampoline, ball pit, monkey bars, mats, slides – we had a Halloween craft, ghost bowling, and a special Halloween story time. Lucien worked diligently on his tissue paper cat face.
During story time the teachers acted out “Five Little Pumpkins” with finger puppets. Lucien sat right up front, enthralled. When we returned home on Halloween night he told and retold “Five Little Pumpkins.” Over and over again. He was so enthusiastic, it was absolutely adorable.
And here is our most recent daily reading log …
1. Ms. Turtle the Babysitter (This is a new favorite of Lucien’s, written and illustrated by Valeri Gorbachev, author and illustrator of his old favorites – Catty Jane and Bert and Beth – both from Highlights. I was thrilled to find it at our library! Now Lucien loves to pretend that he is a babysitter to his dolls.)
2. Frog and Toad All Year
3. Frog and Toad Are Friends
4. The Cat in the Hat
5. Halloween Surprise (This and the next three we listened to at our special Halloween story time at the public library.)
6. I Am A Witch’s Cat
7. Boo Who?
8. Just Say Boo!
9. One Rainy Day (Another Valeri Gorbachev find!)
10. The Magic School Bus: Lost in the Solar System (Lucien has been really into stars and planets since our trip to the planetarium!)
11. The Magic School Bus: In the Time of the Dinosaurs (We read this one twice. Lucien loves Ms. Frizzle!)
12. Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site
13. The Little Red Hen (This and all the remaining stories are from our Usborne Bedtime Stories collection. A fantastic book – I love Usborne!)
14. The Three Wishes (This is probably Lucien’s favorite story in the book. When he can’t get something he wants he will tell me “I wish I could just say ‘ting’ and then it would appear!” just like in the story.
15. The Miller, His Son, and Their Donkey
16. Nail Soup
17. Golden Windows
18. Princess Tabitha’s New Trick
19. Silly McAdam